Chicken Tetrazzini is a creamy rich casserole is made with chicken, mushrooms, a few veggies, plenty of sauce, and cheese. Baked till bubbly and the cheese is melted. The perfect comfort food.
I love easy dishes! Like there is nothing better than a one-dish wonder that has limited dishes to wash and requires very little prep time. I rely on these meals on busy nights to feed our family. Some of our favorite easy dishes are spaghetti pie, Instant Pot Lazy Lasagna, and of course this chicken tetrazzini.
Chicken tetrazzini is an inexpensive casserole that uses chicken, pasta, alfredo sauce, and cheese. It is a one-pot wonder that impresses every single time. It is a family favorite that my kids are always asking for! I of course love it because I can make ahead of time and even freeze!
How to Make Chicken Tetrazzini
- Cook the noodles al dente, according to package directions.
- Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9×13 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan and cook the onions and garlic for 4 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, celery and bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for an additional 4 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken, spaghetti sauce, cream of chicken soup, heavy cream, and the cream cheese. Stir till combined.
- Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss till combined. If you want it a little bit saucier, add a little bit of the spaghetti water.
- Spread the spaghetti out in the pan and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Melt the remaining butter and stir into the bread crumbs.
- Sprinkle the top with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the topping is nicely browned.
- Remove and serve with your favorite side dish.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- Short on time? Grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store to use. The flavor is perfect in this classic pasta bake dish.
- Be sure to cook your pasta to al dente. If you cook it all the way through then it will become mushy while baking.
- Tetrazzini is not just for chicken! You can sub the chicken for leftover turkey as well.
- Think outside the box with the vegetables you add. Try corn, green beans, mushrooms, peas, asparagus, even broccoli.
- It may seem a bit saucy, but the noodles will soak up all that yumminess!
- Don’t overcook the noodles. They will cook more in the oven.
- You can thin the sauce a little with some of the spaghetti water.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Chicken Tetrazzini is great for busy families because you can easily make it ahead of time and it tastes delicious! Assemble as directed, cover with foil, and place in your fridge for up to 24 hours. Pull it out about 15 minutes before you are ready to bake.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
- This can be frozen up to 3 months. Thaw completely, then bake for 20 minutes
I love this dish because it freezes so well! Just assemble in a freezer-safe dish. I usually grab some throwaway foil pans for easy freezing. Cover completely with foil and then with plastic and place in the freezer. This is will store for about 2 months.
What to serve with Chicken Tetrazzini
This is a hearty comfort dish that you can easily serve on its own. If you want you can serve with a vegetable and rustic white bread.
Check out these other comfort classics!
Chicken Tetrazzini is comfort in a dish as it combines pasta, chicken, alfredo sauce, and cheese. This creamy dish is cheesy and the perfect pasta bake to feed your family tonight.
- 1 (16 ounces) package spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente (reserve ½ cup of water)
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1/2 bell pepper, diced
- 1 1/2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups chicken, cooked and diced
- 1 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cans (10.5 ounces) cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
Cook the noodles al dente, according to package directions.
Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a 9x13 inch pan with cooking spray.
Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in a large saute pan and cook the onions and garlic for 4 minutes. Add the salt, pepper, celery, and bell pepper and cook for another 2 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and saute for an additional 4 minutes.
Stir in the chicken, spaghetti sauce, cream of chicken soup, heavy cream, and cream cheese. Stir till combined.
Pour the sauce over the noodles and toss till combined. If you want it a little bit saucier, add a little bit of the spaghetti water.
Spread the spaghetti out in the pan and sprinkle it with the cheese.
Melt the remaining butter and stir into the bread crumbs.
Sprinkle the top with the breadcrumbs.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and the topping is nicely browned.
Remove and serve with your favorite side dish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 523Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 20gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 121mgSodium: 981mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 20g