Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
Grab your mixing bowl, a little bit of butter, and your favorite sprinkles- it’s time for some seriously adorable Easter Peeps Rice Krispie Treats! Peeps just scream Easter, and with a couple of extra ingredients, you can turn your traditional rice krispie treat recipe into a beautiful and delicious springtime delight that your family and friends will love. With a simple method and a few extra ingredients, you can make irresistibly festive Peeps-decorated treats that can be customized with any of your favorite sprinkles and sweets. Perfect for an Easter party, a bake sale, or just a fun afternoon treat for the family, you can whip up these adorably delicious treats in no time at all. So check out this easy-to-follow recipe to learn how you can make the tastiest Peeps Rice Krispie Treats that everyone will enjoy.
Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
Rice Krispie treats are a complete weakness in my house. The sticky fun marshmallows with the Rice Krispie cereal and the rich buttery flavor all meld together to make the ultimate treat that can be gussied up for any occasion.
And the best part? You can wrap them up in little treat bags and fill up Easter baskets with Peeps Rice Krispie Treats right next to the Easter eggs! Easy to make festive treats that don’t require breaking out bottles of food coloring.
Buy an extra box of Peeps and make my Easter Fruit Kabobs for more Easter treats!
What do I need to get started?
- Butter. Now I usually use unsalted in my baking, but for this recipe, I went with salted butter. All the extra flavor really made these Easter Rice Krispie treats so addicting!
- Marshmallows. I used big jet-puffed, but any marshmallow is fine.
- Rice Krispie cereal. I always use the name brand, but any rice crispy cereal will work.
- Mini dehydrated marshmallows. I used these for the bright pastel colors.
- Peeps. I bought 4 packages in assorted colors.
- Sprinkles. These are technically optional, but are they really?! 🙂
How to make Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
The very first thing you want to do is prepare your pan. Take a 9×13 baking dish and spray generously with non-stick cooking spray. You can also prepare the pan with parchment paper for extra protection, but I did not need to.
In a large saucepan or dutch oven, melt butter over low heat until fully melted.
Add the marshmallows and slowly heat until fully melted and mixed in with the butter.
Remove from the heat and add the Rice Krispie cereal, folding today into a sticky mixture. Fold in the dehydrated marshmallows.
Carefully press the mixture into the prepared pan. Take a rubber spatula and spray it with more non-stick spray, then use that to press down the treats. If you are using sprinkles, press them into the top of the bars at this point.
Let the Rice Krispie treats sit at room temperature for at least 20-30 minutes to set. Once they are stable, cut them into pieces.
To add Peeps, take one and cut it in half lengthwise. Stick onto the treats, sticky side down, pressing gently.
These Easter Rice Krispie Treats can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days. The completed treats can be frozen as well. Wrap the cool down treats in wax paper and store in a freezer-safe container and freeze them for up to 3 months. I do not recommend freezing – for best results, always make fresh.
Make an Easter Basket
You can use these Peeps Rice Krispie Treats to make the most fun unique Easter Basket!
Take a basket and fill it with shredded Easter grass. Then take each completed treat and place it in a treat bag. A treat bag will usually come with ties that match, so tie up the bag at the end. Repeat until all Rice Krispie treats are wrapped up.
Fill the basket with more Peeps, as well as some Easter eggs and any other assorted candies, then place the Rice Krispie treats in the empty spaces. Top with more colorful marshmallows or sprinkles!
Tips and Tricks to Make the BEST Rice Krispie Treats
- My Rice Krispie Treat recipes always use EXTRA butter. Butter is the main flavor driver in Rice Krispies, so use high quality salted butter for best results.
- Use the freshest marshmallows possible. You want them to be super soft and pillowy, not drying out in the pantry.
- Always toss in extra marshmallows after the cereal, even if you can’t get your hands on the pastel dehydrated ones. This adds another level of chewy texture.
- Rice Krispie Treats should never be refrigerated – room temperature is always best!
- For an extra depth of flavor, try browning the butter before adding marshmallows.
Peeps Rice Krispie Treats
These adorable Easter Rice Krispie Treats are super fun to make with kids and totally delicious. The decorating is made easy with sprinkles, mini marshmallows, and Peeps for the cutest festive Easter treat!
- ½ Cup or 4 Ounces Salted Butter
- 1 15oz Bag Marshmallows
- 8 Cups Rice Krispie Cereal
- 1 Cup Mini Dehydrated Marshmallows, Colorful
- Optional Toppings, Peeps & Sprinkles
- Prepare a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick cooking spray, then set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat salted butter over low heat until fully melted.
- Add the 15oz bag of marshmallows, and slowly heat until fully melted and incorporated.
- Remove from heat and add the rice krispie cereal, folding together into a sticky mixture. Fold in the mini dehydrated marshmallows
- Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan, and using a rubber spatula sprayed with non-stick spray, flatten the top. If adding sprinkles, sprinkle it over the top at this point and gently press into the top.
- Let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes, or until treats are completely set.
- (optional) to add the peeps to the top of each treat, cut the peeps in half and lightly press the cut half on top of the treats.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 357Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 254mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 0gSugar: 34gProtein: 3g