Shirley Temple poke cake is one of the moistest cherry poke cakes you will find as you take an ordinary cake add cherries, poke holes in it, add jello, and cool whip for an extraordinary flavor the whole family will love.
Shirley Temple Poke Cake
Growing up I loved Shirley Temples. I remember going with my grandparents out to dinner and getting to order them. I always felt like the most special person in the whole world.
Since then I have carried this tradition on with my boys who also love a good Shirley Temple! Since we share such a love for it we decided it was the perfect reason to create Shirley Temple Poke Cake to combine our love of this drink with the love of dessert.
We love that this Shirley Temple poke cake is so easy. In just a few steps we have a simple dessert that sparks memories we can all share together.
How to Make Shirley Temple Poke Cake
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- Poke the cake first before mixing the jello mixture. This allows the cake to dry out a bit, which then helps it absorb the jello better.
- If you want an even sweeter cake you can use 7-up instead of water to make your cake.
- If you want to really kick up the Shirley Temple feel and flavor, use 1 cup of boiling water and 1 cup of Sprite or 7-up to make the jello. You will love the way this tastes.
- The jello in this Shirley Temple poke cake will set in about 6 hours in the fridge, but you will want to let this cake sit overnight in the fridge. This helps the flavors really come together perfectly.
We all love things we can make ahead. This recipe is the perfect make-ahead dessert. I always prep it after dinner the night before and let it sit in the fridge all night. This helps the jello to set up as well as really help the flavors come together.
It is actually one of the best desserts to eat a day or two old.
You will want to store this cake in the fridge in an airtight container. I love to grab the Pyrex dishes with the lids because it makes this cake so easy to store and keep fresh. This cake will last 3-4 days in the fridge.
Looking for more cake ideas? Try these!
Watch this video for no fail results
- 1 Box White Cake Mix
- Ingredients called for cake mix, eggs & vegetable oil
- 1 Jar (10 oz) Maraschino Cherries
- Box (3 oz) of Cherry Jello
- 1 Tub (8 oz) Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake batter according to package directions.
- Separate cherries and juice. Saving the juice on the side. Cut the cherries in half. Rinse the cherries well,
- Fold the cherries into the cake batter.
- Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with canola spray. Pour your batter into your dish.
- Cook according to package directions.
- Once the cake is cool, use the back end of a wooden spoon to create your poke holes.
- Prepare Jello according to the package directions.
- Pour Jello mixture over top of the poke cake, allowing to get into your poke holes.
- in a bowl, mix 8 TBSP of cherry juice into your cool whip. Mix well. Frost the cake with cherry cool whip.
- Decorate with cherries.
- Slice & Enjoy!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 369mgCarbohydrates: 56gFiber: 1gSugar: 38gProtein: 3g