Sharing is caring!
Gingerbread Sugar Cookies are a delicious rolled and cookie-cut sugar cookie that is decorated like a classic gingerbread. A sweet Christmas cookie to make for cookie swaps, bake sales, and holiday feasts.
It’s that time of year we all love. We love the holidays, we love spending time with our families, we love building snowmen, we love drinking hot chocolate, and we LOVE eating holiday cookies!!!
Gingerbread Sugar Cookies
These Gingerbread Sugar Cookies give me all the feels. They are just adorable!!!! I get happy just looking at them. Use the pictures below to help guide you with decorating your cookies, like a pro.
What Is The Base Of The Gingerbread Sugar Cookies
I have an awesome sugar cookie recipe for you below. It is going to give you delicate and flaky sugar cookies that literally melt in your mouth. It is one of my favorite sugar cookie recipes.
You then use a gingerbread cookie cutter to get that perfectly shaped gingerbread. This is such a fun cookie recipe that kids will go nuts for.
Is It Hard to Decorate Gingerbread Cookies
What is so nice is I share pictures of the step by step process so you can see exactly how to decorate your cookies. It can be overwhelming to see a cookie and wonder where to start piping, so I made sure to include pictures.
Can I Use Regular Frosting Instead of Royal Icing
You are welcome to use buttercream or another type of frosting to replace the royal icing. Now, know when decorating cookies for that smooth look, royal icing is the way to go. But if you prefer a different flavor feel free to improvise with what you want.
Looking For More Christmas Desserts
- Homemade Peppermint Patties | A creamy mint filling that is dipped in rich chocolate. Make your own peppermint patties that are festive and the perfect Christmas treat to make.
- Elf on Shelf White Hot Chocolate | If the Elf visits your home whip up this sweet Christmas drink. Sweet and perfectly colored hot chocolate to warm you up on a cold day.
- Christmas Tree Brownies | Make up these brownies and decorate them like a lit-up Christmas tree. A super easy dessert that takes little effort to create a fun holiday dessert.
How To Store Gingerbread Sugar Cookies
You will want to store your sugar cookies in an airtight container. Make sure the cookies are fully cooled before placing them in a container, as it can build condensation from heat and make the cookies go bad faster.
Can I Freeze These Sugar Cookies
Yes, these cookies freeze nicely. Simply place in an airtight bag or even a freezer container and store for up to three months. Make sure that you do a single layer, or place parchment between each layer so they don’t stick.
So if you want something different and unique to give this recipe a try! Let me know how you like the flavor and fun design of the cookies you make.
Adorable & delicious gingerbread sugar cookies
- 1 C of butter
- 1 1/2 C Powder sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 C of flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tater
- Cookie cutter: Gingerbread men
- Icing ingredients
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 C cream of tarter
- 1/2 C vanilla
- 4 1/2 C powder sugar
- brown, pink, red and green gel color
- 6 disposable piping bags fitted with number 2 tip
- 1 squeeze bottles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cover a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside
- Using a standing mixer, cream together the butter, powder sugar, vanilla and egg and mix until combined and creamy
- Using a large bowl, combined the flour, baking soda and cream of tarter
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients and mix on low speed
- Using your hands continue to mix until fully combined
- Lightly flour a cutting board and knead the cookie dough a couple of times
- Roll out the dough to about 1/2 inch thick
- Cut out a few Gingerbread men and place onto the cookie sheet
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Repeat steps until completely out of dough
- Let cookies cool completely
- Using the standing mixer, combine the egg whites, cream of tarter, vanilla and powder sugar and mix until combined and stiff peaks form
- Scoop icing into 6 bowls to mix colors in, leaving one bowl with the most icing for the brown color.
- Add in some brown gel coloring into the bowl with the most icing and mix until combined. Add in a few more drops of brown and mix until you get the shade you like
- Add in the remaining colors into their own bowls, leaving one white
- Scoop a little bit of icing into each piping bag and set aisde
- Add in 3 tablespoons of water into the brown icing bowl and mix until combined
- Pour icing into the squeeze bottle and set aside
- Using the brown icing piping bag, pipe an outline around all of the gingerbread men cookies
- Once done, fill in with the thinner icing
- Let cookies dry overnight
- Using the red icing bag, pipe a scarf around the gingerbread mens neck
- Using the white icing, add squiggly lines to his arms and legs
- Using the black icing, pipe on the dots on his belly, for his eyes and pipe on a smile
- Using the pink icing add a dot at the end of the smile for his cheeks
- Let dry for an hour.
Sharing is caring!