Homemade Peppermint Patties are a wintery mint that will chill you down. A velvety and creamy mint center that is dipped in dark chocolate. You will love these peppermint patties, perfect for holiday entertaining and more.
These Homemade Peppermint Patties are such a delicious treat that you really need to consider making. Up until making this recipe I had no idea how easy to make and how delicious homemade peppermint patties are.
Homemade Peppermint Patties
I have a lot of recipes and holiday gift ideas on the blog this holiday season. These homemade peppermint patties are the perfect accompaniment for many of them. One way or another find a reason to make these delicious little goodies and enjoy some yourself.
Having a holiday celebration? Try these Gingerbread Eggnog Cocktail.
What Is A Peppermint Pattie
A peppermint pattie is a creamy based mint that is dipped in semi-sweet chocolate. When you bite into them you are filled with sweet mint flavor and rich chocolate. A classic dessert that is served all year round, for Christmas or Thanksgiving and more.
How to Make Peppermint Patties
Start by making your peppermint cream base, then form it into the shape of a pattie. Dip in the melted chocolate and allow them to harden. I share the full details on how to make these homemade mints below.
How to Melt Chocolate For Peppermint Patties
You can melt your chocolate in the microwave or even a double boiler. This is a quick and easy way to melt chocolate. I also use my Instant Pot as a double boiler and it works fantastic.
I also recommend using a fork or chocolate dipping spoon to help shake off the excess chocolate. Then lay it down on wax paper or parchment paper to allow your patties to dry.
How To Store Peppermint Patties
Once your peppermint patties have fully dried you can store them in a sealable bag or even airtight container. The mints will store for around a week. Just use your best judgment on if you feel you need to toss out the mints or not.
Can You Freeze Homemade Peppermint Patties
You sure can. Place in a freezer-friendly container and store for up to three months. I do recommend that if you plan to layer your mints place parchment or wax paper in between layers, so they don’t stick together.
Then when you want a mint thaw on the counter for a bit and enjoy it.
If you are looking for fun holiday desserts to make, this one is rather easy to make. Creamy, sweet, and downright delicious. I guarantee you can’t eat just one of these tasty mints.
Delicious homemade Peppermint Patties are so easy to make you are going to wonder why you have not made them before. Made these as a delicious holiday gift.
- 3 and ¾ cup powdered sugar; plus 1 cup for kneading
- 5 tbsp + 1 tsp evaporated milk
- 5 tbsp + 1 tsp corn syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp peppermint extract
- 1 lb semi sweet chocolate
- Peppermint candy for topping, optional
- In a large bowl mix together sugar, milk, syrup, coconut oil, and extract.
- Once a dough forms, sprinkle 1 cup powdered sugar on a clean counter and place the dough on top.
- Gently knead the dough until all the powdered sugar is gone and the dough is no longer sticky.
- Wrap dough in cling wrap and refrigerate for about 3 hours or overnight is best.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll out the dough with a rolling pin to roughly ¼ inch thickness.
- Use a cookie cutter of your choice to cut our circles and place them on parchment.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Let cool for about 3 minutes and then gently dip each patty in the chocolate and remove with a fork, if needed, use a butter knife to help place the patty back on the parchment.
- Top with crushed peppermint if you would like, and leave the chocolate to harden.
- Store in an airtight container.