Boozy pineapple pina colada poke cake is the ultimate tropical poke cake. A white cake that is filled with a rum-based pina colada drizzle and topped with pina colada whipped cream.
Moms can I get a heck yea!!! Heck yea, slice me up a piece of that Boozy Pineapple Pina Colada Poke Cake!!
Boozy Pineapple Pina Colada Poke Cake
It has been a really long week and I really am not one to have a glass of wine. I am definitely more of an eat my frustrations away kind of girl.
So this cake is a celebration of us girls that sometimes need to eat our frustrations away. It’s Friday night and I could not think of a better way to enjoy it.
What Is Poke Cake
If you have not had a poke cake, you are missing out. You take a white cake and bake it up as directed.
Take the back of a wooden spoon and poke holes all over the cake. Whip up your cake topping and pour it over the cake.
All the sweet flavors will soak into the cake, infusing it with incredible flavor and be ultra moist.
Then to go a step further for this recipe I made a pina colada flavored topping with whipped cream.
Do You Use Boxed Cake Mix
Yes, I used a box cake mix. Now, if you want you are welcome to do a homemade cake. But, the boxed cake is so easy and since you add in so much flavor you will never know it was boxed.
What Flavor Of Cake To Use
I used white but you could even reach for a yellow cake mix if you would like. I find you want the cake to be a simple and mellow flavor, as the filling and whipped topping is what adds to the flavor.
You could try trying out different cake mix flavors like cherry or even strawberry if you will.
How to Store
Because of the ingredients, you will want to store this poke cake, covered and in the fridge. If you leave it out, the cake will spoil.
You don’t want your cake to be left out for more than 2 hours at room temperature. It can begin to go bad pretty fast.
The best thing is to place the cake back in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes before you bring back out to serve guests. This helps to ensure you place the cake back in the fridge before 2-hour mark to prevent it spoiling fast.
Can You Freeze Poke Cake
Yes, you can freeze this poke cake. Just place in an airtight container and store for up to 3 months.
Then when you are ready, remove it from the freezer and store it in the fridge overnight. Or sit out on the counter for 20-30 minutes for a quick thaw.
Variations to Pina Colada Poke Cake
- Add in fresh pineapple to decorate the cake or to lay on top of the cake before you place whipped topping.
- Sprinkle on coconut for another optional flavor and texture to your poke cake. You can do unsweetened for a lighter option if you want.
- Top with maraschino cherries just as you would a pina colada cocktail.
- Play around with flavors of cakes or try your hand at a homemade cake.
Can I Make Non-Alcoholic
Of course. Just leave out the rum and you can enjoy a pina colada cake that is virgin. It will still taste amazing and be safe to serve up kids!
For another delicious dessert recipe, try my crock pot apple dump cake, it is so good! Then try my crock pot root beer float cake, you will love it! Let me also mention Slow Cooker Reese’s Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake which is another decadent slow cooker dessert.
This Boozy Pineapple Pina Colada Poke Cake is a celebration of us girls that need to sip our frustrations away but really prefer to eat a piece of cake.
- 1 white cake mix, prepared as directed on package instructions
- 1 cup fresh pineapple
- 1 1/4 cup Pina colada drink mix, divided
- 1/3 cup rum, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 3.4 ounce package coconut cream pudding mix
- 2 8 ounce tub whipped topping, thawed
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
- Poke holes with a fork or wooden skewer.
- Mix together pudding mix with 1 cup Pina Colada drink mix and 1/3 cup rum. Pour over the cake and spread around to make sure it gets in the holes.
- Mix together one container whipped topping with 1/4 cup Pina Colada mix and 2 tablespoons rum. Spread this over the top of the cake and then top with remaining whipped cream.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 269Sodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 59gSugar: 41gProtein: 1g