Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is truly the best comfort food recipe you can make. Loads of cheesiness in every single bite of perfectly cooked pasta!
Grab that pressure cooker and make the best macaroni and cheese you have ever had.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is the next best thing since sliced bread. I realize that may sound a bit much but it really is!!! This is just as easy, if not easier to make than boxed mac and cheese.
My boys could eat mac and cheese 5 days a week and now I will know they are eating the ingredients I purchased rather than wondering what exactly is that powder made of.
Can I Use Low Fat Dairy Products
My ingredients include whole milk cheeses but you can easily swap it out for low-fat options.
Stock up on shredded cheese the next time it is on sale and this way you can whip up some fresh warm mac and cheese whenever you like. A warm bowl of mac and cheese can do wonders to brighten up a kids day.
How to Make Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Start by adding your dry pasta, water, mustard powder and butter. Cook for just 4 minutes on the sealing position with a quick release.
Now you move onto mixing in the rest of ingredients for the ultimate cheesy macaroni and cheese!
The full directions and measurements of ingredients is in the printable recipe card below.
Variations to Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Swap water with chicken stock to add even more richness to this recipe. It will really transform the flavor. If a vegetarian reach for vegetable stock.
- Pasta shape can be changed as well. Smaller shells would be great or get creative if you prefer.
- Cheeses can be swapped as well if you have different ones at home, I tend to prefer shredding my own cheese off the block as it provides a creamier texture.
- If you enjoy broccoli in your Mac and cheese toss some in when you add cheese and just allow it to thaw if frozen. Or if fresh you can cut up and then toss in and cook for the 4 minutes to help tenderize it.
- Meats can be added if you would like. Stir in tuna, chopped or shredded cooked chicken, or even hot dogs.
How to Store Leftovers
You can store leftovers of this pressure cooker Mac and cheese by dishing into a container and placing in the fridge.
This side dish stores awesome and you can eat leftovers cold or reheat in microwave or even on the stove top.
Since this recipe has no meat it can store for up to 5 days in the fridge. If you add meat then it drops down to three days.
How Do I Make Macaroni And Cheese Thicker
If you find this is not thick enough for you, don’t worry. On sauté mode you can allow the mixture to get nice and warm. Make sure to stir often or it will burn.
Mix 2 teaspoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoons water, stir until mixed and pour into hot Mac and cheese. Stir until thickened. You can repeat the process if you need to. Just slow a couple of minutes to pass so it has tome to thicken up.
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is the next best thing to sliced bread. This is just as easy if not easy to prepare than boxed mac and cheese and you get to control all of the ingredients. It is ready in 4 minutes!!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 4 cups water
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp mustard powder
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 oz shredded colby jack cheese
- Add macaroni, water, butter, and mustard powder, to your instant pot.
- Give a quick stir so that all the ingredients are combined.
- Close lid and seal valve on your Instant Pot.
- Set to high pressure, 4 minutes in manual mode.
- When it's done, do a quick release.
- Set the Instant Pot in warm mode.
- Add in your milk and both of your cheeses.
- Stir and mix until cheese is fully melted and is a creamy sauce.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 504Saturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 73mgSodium: 416mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 1gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g