Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from Frozen or Fresh
Looking for the easiest way to make shredded chicken? Check out my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken from Frozen or Fresh! This will help you to make that super juicy and tender chicken that you can use for all types of recipes. This is easy to do, and a great way to stock up your freezer, prep for meals, and more.
We eat chicken a lot in our home. Using the Instant Pot to prep a big batch is always where I reach for. If you are wondering how to make that tried and true shredded chicken in the Instant Pot, I have the recipe to help.
Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
Why make shredded chicken in the Instant Pot? My answer is why not!? I have made chicken on the stove to shred and use in recipes or to toss in my freezer. So why not utilize your magical pressure cooker? I find it is easy, no having to watch to ensure the water doesn’t boil over the pot and a hands-off approach.
What Temperature Does Chicken Need To Reach To Be Cooked
The chicken will need to have an internal temperature of 165 degrees before it is safe to be consumed. After you release the pressure check the internal temperature with a thermometer. If it is less than 160 degrees put the lid back on and cook for another 3-5 minutes on high pressure.
Depending on the size of your chicken breasts will depend on cook time. So sometimes you have to adjust the cook time for the amount of chicken you have in your pot.
Easy Ways to Shred Chicken
Let me share a handful of ways that you can easily shred your chicken that is quick!
- KitchenAid Mixer | Use your stand mixer to whip up that chicken. Toss in your cooked chicken and put the paddle blade on. Turn on low and in seconds the mixer will shred your cooked chicken.
- Forks | Two forks is all it takes to shred your chicken. Poke forks in the center of the meat and then pull back in opposite directions. This will begin to shred the chicken and repeat until it is all done.
- Meat Claws| You can buy meat claws at a store or online that is super fast at shredding chicken. Stick it into the meat, and pull in opposite directions. Seconds later all your meat is shredded.
- Hand Mixer | My personal favorite method. I like to just grab my hand mixer and shred my meat right inside my pot.
Ways To Use Shredded Chicken
The possibilities are endless on how you can use the shredded chicken. For toss onto salads, using in casseroles and making tacos, and more. You can use this shredded chicken anyway that you want. Treat it like any other meat and use it in recipes or eat it alone. Either way, it works great.
Can You Freeze Shredded Chicken
Absolutely! Feel free to place in individual freezer bagsfreezer bags or storage containers and toss in the freezer for up to three months. Then when you want to use it, toss in a pot frozen for soups and stews, or allow it to thaw in the fridge overnight.
Making chicken in your Instant Pot truly is easy, and my recipe is tried and true and will set you up for success! Give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 2 Pnds Chicken Breasts (frozen or fresh)
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 TBSP Season All
- 1 1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
- Place the chicken breasts and chicken broth into your pot (if your breasts were frozen you may need to defrost them a bit to cut into pieces that will fit into your pot)
- Sprinkle breasts with season all and garlic powder.
- Close the lid, make sure it’s in the sealing position and turn toggle to seal.
- Press Pressure (it should automatically set to HIGH pressure). Set time to 12 minutes. Hit START. When finished do a quick release.
- Pick your method for shredding. I like to use my hand mixer. It shreds the meat so quickly and easily.
- If using now, enjoy!!
- If using for later, divide into 2 freezer bags or containers. Place in freezer.
*Cooked poultry is safe refrigerated for 3-4 days and in the freezer for 2-6 months.