Forget the kids—it’s time to shake things up and make a Shamrock Shake that’s just for adults! This special take on the classic fast-food treat is made using Bailey’s Irish Cream, Creme de Menthe, and a few other ingredients, creating a decadent and delicious after-dinner drink. But, don’t worry if you get a little too festive – the Boozy Shamrock Shake is no stronger than a glass of wine. So, grab the ingredients and whip up this irresistible adult-only concoction, perfect for St. Patrick’s Day and all of your future celebrations.
Anyone who knows me or this blog knows that I love a good copycat recipe. And since McDonald’s only serves my favorite shakes for a limited time and I want to enjoy them any time of the year, I got out my blender, ice cream, and Irish Cream. Try my Wendy’s Copycat Chili or my Chick Fil A sauce for more fast food recreations!
Why are Shamrock Shakes Green?
Dyeing the shake a beautiful minty green is just a way to “trick” your senses. You can have this delicious shake in any color or in the natural vanilla ice cream color.
This recipe requires no food dye or extract – the flavor and color are all completely due to the Creme de Menthe.
What do I need to make a Boozy Shamrock Shake?
- A blender.
- Vanilla ice cream. I like the flavor of French Vanilla, but you can use whichever vanilla is your favorite, including any dairy free options.
- Whole milk. This can be replaced with an almond or oat milk.
- Bailey’s Irish Creme. For a non-alcoholic version, you can just leave this out (but if you do, you might need more milk!)
- Creme de Menthe. Since the flavor and color are coming from this ingredient, if you omit it, add in some mint or peppermint extract and food coloring for a beautiful green shake. I think the Creme de Menthe makes the perfect shade, but if you want more color, add some green food coloring as well!
How to make Shamrock Shakes at home
Start by placing all ingredients in a blender. Process until it forms a smooth liquid – this should only take about 20-30 seconds.
If you are going to drizzle the chocolate into your cup, do it now! Any decorating to your cup should be done before pouring.
Carefully pour the milkshake into your prepared cup. I like to top with whipped cream, mint leaves, a cherry, and some drizzled Creme de Menthe. But you don’t need any of those frills! Enjoy the shake as is.
- Whipped Cream.
- Mint leaves.
- Maraschino cherries.
- Chocolate syrup.
- Crushed Oreos.
- Mini cupcakes.
- Chocolate chips.
- Peppermint Patties.
Tips and Tricks
* To make the milkshake to your preferred thickness, only add milk in small amounts. Check after every few tablespoons. You want something thick and lush and not milky, but not so thick that it’s difficult to use a straw.
** Place your milkshake glasses in the freezer while preparing your milkshake to keep it as cold as possible.
*** While it is not necessary for the recipe, chocolate syrup really ups the flavor in this decadent treat.
**** For an extra kick, add a bit of Jameson!
Do I need to use alcohol?
No, you do not need to use alcohol to enjoy a delicious Shamrock Shake. McDonald’s Shamrock Shake has been a favorite of mine since I was a little kid. Try out my delicious copycat recipe, Shamrock Shake, right here.
A twist on the fast-food staple, this Shamrock Shake Recipe is for adults only; a Boozy Shamrock Shake made with Bailey’s Irish Creme and Creme de Menthe.
- 4 Cups Vanilla Ice Cream
- ¼ Cup Whole Milk
- 3 Ounces Crème de menthe
- 3 Ounces Baileys Irish Cream
Combine all ingredients together in a blender and process until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Whipped Cream
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Sauce
- Fresh Mint
- Mini Cupcakes
- Creme de Menthe, drizzled on top
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 456Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 60mgSodium: 116mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 48gProtein: 5g