With four boys, you can imagine I am quite the mac and cheese connoisseur. You get this title after making mac and cheese a gazillion times. It is a very prestigious title and my boys and I take our mac and cheese very serious. After making a delicious Instant Pot Mac and Cheese and getting rave reviews from my boys, our instant pot mac and cheese journey officially begun. I wanted to make a heartier mac and cheese that I could serve as dinner with a salad on the side. This Instant Pot Chicken Mac & Cheese came out so delicious, this will be a new weeknight regular.
This is a perfect one-pot meal. You can add a delicious salad on the side and call the kids down for dinner. This is one delicious meal that everyone will enjoy.
Instant Pot Chicken Mac and Cheese
Instant Pot Chicken Mac and Cheese is so delicious and easy to make. This will be part of your weekly line up for here on out, it is that delicious.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds of boneless chicken (either breasts or thighs are great! (cut into small/medium sized pieces)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry pasta of your choice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1-2 tablespoons Dijon or dry mustard
- 2 cups shredded cheese of your choice (I used Colby Jack)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Set your Instant Pot to sauté. Add the olive oil and butter and allow it to sizzle. Add garlic cook for 1-2 minutes or until translucent. Stir regularly.
- Add your chicken and cook until browned, around 3-4 minutes, or until no longer pink. Drain grease and set aside in a medium size bowl.
- Add water and then your dry pasta to your Instant Pot and stir together to be sure the pasta is submerged in the water
Set Instant Pot to high pressure for 4 minutes. Lock lid and make sure vent is closed. When cooking time ends, release pressure and wait for steam to completely stop before opening lid. Remove pasta and add to the bowl of chicken.
- Press sauté function on Instant Pot. Add cream, mustard, flour, and thyme to pot. Stir continuously until mixture is thickened; about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken and pasta back to the pot.
- Stir in cheese and allow to melt. Serve immediately.