I am going to share how to make Instant Pot yogurt without the yogurt button! If you have a version that doesn’t have that handy yogurt setting, it is okay, you can still make homemade yogurt in the Instant Pot without that button. Once you learn how to make Instant Pot yogurt you will never buy it again!
Almost every recipe you find online about making Instant Pot yogurt tells you to hit that yogurt button on your Instant Pot. If you don’t have the yogurt button, it is okay. I am going to teach you how to make it without needing that button. Why? Because homemade yogurt is so creamy and tasty, it beats store yogurt time and time again. And if you have an Instant Pot you have to try it for anyone who enjoys yogurt.
Make Instant Pot Yogurt Without The Yogurt Button Easily
Two ingredients are all it takes. Milk and a little bit of yogurt. Yes, I know what you are thinking, why are we using yogurt to make yogurt. You need that live and active cultures that are found in the yogurt. So a little dollop is all it takes. Just make sure to read your yogurt labels to ensure it is active culture yogurt.
Making homemade yogurt does take time, but you will enjoy the wait. Trust me, it is the creamiest dream you will have ever tried when it comes to yogurt.
My Favorite Instant Pot Yogurt Toppings And Stir-Ins
I also love the fruit on the bottom but I don’t always want all of the mystery preservatives and other ingredients I care not to have in my yogurt. Plus I find the taste of my homemade yogurt not even comparable to store bought, it is so much more delicious.
I have been making jam in my instant pot for quite some time and it so delicious over ice cream. I hosted brunch recently for Father’s Day and served delicious Instant Pot Yogurt with Instant Pot Blueberry Jam and Instant Pot Strawberry Jam. I also served sunflower seeds, chia seeds, graham cracker crumbs, blackberries, and strawberries. It was such a delicious treat that everyone enjoyed. It is a perfect Sunday morning breakfast while you read the newspaper.
Many of us potheads eventually end up with more than one instant pot. But for now, at least you know How To Make Instant Pot Yogurt WITHOUT The Yogurt Button.
Tips for Making Instant Pot Yogurt without The Yogurt Button
- Brand of Milk | You can use whatever brand of milk you would like. It gets heated properly so it will kill off any bacteria during the cooking process.
- Thickness | I prefer whole milk as it will leave you with a silky and creamy yogurt. If you use lower fat milk it will be thinner, but you can strain to thicken it up.
- Lumps | If you find that your yogurt is lumpy, use a whisk or blender to whip it to help break up any lumps and give it a creamy texture.
- Yogurt Starter | So for me, I find 3-4 Tablespoons of yogurt works nicely. But some recipes go all the way up to around 1/4 cup. Now, the more you add the thicker your yogurt will be. I wouldn’t go over 1/4 cup though, as it will affect the recipe.
How Warm Does Milk Have to Be To Kill Bad Bacteria For Making Yogurt
You want your milk to reach at least 180 degrees F to ensure you kill off all the “bad” bacteria. One way to ensure it reaches temperature is using a thermometer to check. You can buy them in the baking aisle or online.
Is Homemade Yogurt Good For You
Yogurt is a great way to add in probiotics into your system to keep your guts running smooth. Also having healthy guts can help keep you healthy overall, as bad bacteria can be found in your guts and lead you to end up sick.
How Do You Sweeten Yogurt Without Adding Sugar
Add in some fresh fruit, a drizzle of honey, or agave. By using fruits or honey you can really bring out a sweetness without reaching for your white sugar. I also add in jams, preserves, and other items that I have on hand to sweeten up my yogurt.
As you can see making homemade yogurt without the Instant Pot yogurt button can be done. It isn’t much more of a process, so you are not missing out! Enjoy.
For a great holiday twist, pair your yogurt with some Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce, delicious!!
Now you can easily make Instant Pot yogurt without the yogurt button! You will never have to pay for expensive yogurt.
- ½ gallon of whole milk
- 3-4 Tbsp of plain yogurt
- Pour milk into Instant Pot then seal the pot with the lid and seal closed. (If you want to add a 14 oz can of sweetened you can do so before closing your lid) Push the “keep warm” button and leave milk for about 40-45 minutes.
- Release the lid and whisk your warm milk.
- Set the IP to “sauté” to heat the milk to 185 degrees.
- Once milk hot remove inner pot with hot pads and set aside to cool to 110 degrees.
- Add 3-4 Tbsp of plain yogurt in your cooled milk and whisk.
- Place the inner pot back into the IP and seal the lid with a closed seal. The IP is off at this point. Wrap the IP in a towel and let sit 8 hours.
- Once done remove the homemade yogurt and place in a storage container in your refrigerator.
- If you would like to sweeten with honey, agave or vanilla, you can mix it in now.
- Use homemade berry IP jam to place at the bottom of your jar and top with your yogurt and enjoy!
This recipe was followed from naturemoms.com
Make yogurt as directed. Some sweetening choices:
* Before spooning your yogurt into mason jars, mix in 1 tablespoon vanilla extract into prepared yogurt, this will flavor the yogurt without any added sweeteners.
** If you like your yogurt to be sweet, you can add in honey, maple syrup or sugar/sweetener adjusted to your desired level of sweetness.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148 Saturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 24mg Sodium: 105mg Carbohydrates: 11g Sugar: 12g Protein: 7g