Ninja Foodi Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas
Put a smile on your family’s faces with these sweet Ninja Foodi Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas. A golden crust that is light and flakey, with an caramel and apple pie filling. Portable bite-size caramel apple pies that are bursting with rich flavors.
These Ninja Foodi Copycat Taco Bell Caramel Apple Empanadas are just another delicious reason you need to get a Ninja Foodi. Desserts come out heavenly. I love making desserts that remind me of eating a big old piece of pie without all of the work of baking a pie.
Easy Ninja Foodi Caramel Apple Empanadas
This recipe is so easy, it used apple pie filling which I keep in my cabinet at all times. Some homemade Instant Pot Caramel Sauce (Dulce de Leche) which I still had plenty from my last batch. I also used Empanada Discos leftover from when I made Beef Empanadas in my Foodi.
I wish you could smell through your screens right now, when these Apple Empanadas bake up in the Ninja Foodi the aroma is just heavenly. I love the mix of cinnamon paired with the caramel, it is a match made in heaven.
What is Empanada Discos
Empanada Discos is the dough you use to make your empanadas. It will save you a ton of time in the kitchen instead of making homemade dough. You can use this disco dough for sweet or savory empanadas. It cookes up to a nice golden crispy and flakey crust.
Is Empanada Dough the Same As Pie Crust
You will find empanada crust to be a little bit less flakey than pie crust is. If you are unable to find Discos you can substitute pie crust if you have to. It will affect the texture slightly compared to a true empanada but it will still taste good!
Can You Bake Empanadas Instead of Frying Them
In this recipe I use my Ninja Foodi. It has a crisping lid like what you have on an Air Fryer. I am able to cook up my empanadas and still have that golden brown crust that you would get if fried. Best of all the Foodi uses no oil!
Now if you want to bake these in the oven, you preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush your empanadas with oil to help golden up the crust and bake for 10-15 minutes.
As you can see this recipe is easy and delicious. Get the tastes of Taco Bell in the comfort of your own home. Then no matter what time or day it is you can enjoy your Caramel Apple empanadas at home.
This is a delicious dessert the whole family will enjoy. And they taste good leftover as well. I may or may not have nibbled on one for breakfast the other morning!
- 1 Can Apple Pie Filling
- 1/2 Cup caramel sauce
- 2 TBSP. unsalted butter
- 1 Package Goya Discos, thawed
- ¼ C. cinnamon sugar for sprinkling
- On a lightly floured surface, lay a thawed disco
- Spoon about 2 tbsp. of apple pie filling into middle, add about 2-3 dollops of caramel sauce over the pie filling.
- Fold in half to form a half moon; moisten edges with water and pinch to seal closed, or seal with a fork.
- Melt butter, then brush the tops of the empanadas.
- Place 2-3 in the crisp basket.
- Select Air Crisp, set temp to 375 degrees. Set time to 8 minutes. Press Start.
- Start checking your empanadas after about 5 minutes to make sure they do not over brown.
- I reapplied some more butter to mine at this point and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar for the last 2 minutes of air crisping.
- Continue making batches until you finish. You should have enough to make at least 8-10 per can of filling
If you can not find the discos, use refrigerated crescent rolls instead.