Welcome to a sweet journey in the world of homemade delights! If you’ve ever marveled at the translucent allure of glass candy and wondered how to create this sugary masterpiece at home, you’re in for a treat. In this step-by-step guide, we’ll unveil the secrets to crafting perfect glass candy—a delightful confection that not only satisfies your sweet tooth but also captivates with its glossy, jewel-like appearance. Get ready to dive into the kitchen and discover a simple yet mesmerizing glass candy recipe that will elevate your culinary skills and sweeten up any occasion. Let’s turn your kitchen into a candy-making haven!
If you are looking for a simple recipe to make glass candy you have come to the right place! This is the perfect homemade candy that the kids love! You can use it on top of cupcakes or cakes for decoration or just eat when you are craving a piece. Pair this with some delicious Nougat candy for a super festive holiday season this year!
What is Candy Glass
Glass candy, as a type of food, is a sweet confection that is typically made from sugar, corn syrup, and water. It’s a type of hard candy that has a clear or translucent appearance, resembling glass. The process of making glass candy involves boiling a mixture of sugar, corn syrup, and water to a high temperature. Once the mixture reaches the desired temperature, it is allowed to cool and solidify, resulting in a hard, glossy candy.
Flavorings and colors can be added to the mixture to enhance the taste and appearance of the candy. Peppermint, cinnamon, and fruit flavors are common choices for adding a pleasant taste to glass candy.
Glass candy is often broken into pieces or cut into shapes once it has hardened, and it is enjoyed as a sweet treat with a crunchy texture. It’s a popular choice for homemade candies and is sometimes used in decorative displays, especially during holidays or festive occasions due to its visually appealing and shiny appearance. Keep in mind that, like other hard candies, it is meant to be enjoyed in moderation due to its high sugar content.
What does sugar glass candy taste like?
The best way to describe glass candy is that it is like a Jolly Rancher or a lollipop. The flavor really depends on the flavor you add to it.
How to Make Glass Candy
1. Line your pan with wax paper. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar. This step will help remove the wax paper a bit easier later.
2. In a saucepan, over medium heat, pour in the sugar & water.
4. Add the light corn syrup & food coloring.
5. Keep stirring until the thermometer reads 300 degrees F. Should take about 8-10 minutes.
6. Once the Candy reaches 300 degrees, quickly pour the mixture into the pan.
7. Repeat for each additional color.
8. Cool for about 30 minutes or until candy has fully hardened.
9. Carefully lift the Candy off of the wax paper.
10. Break into pieces. We used a meat tenderizer.
11. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Tips Tricks and FAQs
- Don’t forget to lightly sprinkle the wax paper with powdered sugar to help remove the candy from the wax paper.
- Be sure that you are extremely careful while making this. The candy will heat to a really high temperature that will cause severe burns if you are not careful.
- You can change the color of this glass candy depending on the holiday or season.
- This candy will have very sharp edges so be careful when breaking it and enjoying it.
Be sure to store your glass candy in the fridge. After about 10 to 15 minutes your glass candy will start to get sweaty. If you leave it out it will start to bend rather than break. This will keep for a long time in the fridge.
Can I add flavoring to Glass Candy?
Yes, you can add flavoring to your glass candy. Add 2 Tsp of your favorite flavor like cinnamon oil, or orange oil. You will add this in when you add in your food coloring.
How do you get the hard candy residue out of your pan?
It is normal to get hard candy residue stuck to the side of your pan. You will want to fill it with hot water and let it sit. The sugar will dissolve and you will be able to pour it right out.
If that doesn’t work you can always bring your water to a boil in the pan on the stove and it will loosen from the pan.
Stained Glass Candy is a holiday favorite. It is simple, delicious, and easy to make. All you need is a few basic ingredients and a cooking thermometer to make this classic holiday treat in no time.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- wax paper
- cooking thermometer
- red food coloring
- green food coloring
Line your pan with wax paper. Lightly sprinkle with powdered sugar. This step will help remove the wax paper a bit easier later.
In a saucepan, over medium heat, pour in the sugar & water.
Add the light corn syrup & food coloring.
Keep stirring until the thermometer reads 300 degrees F. Should take about 8-10 minutes.
Once the Candy reaches 300 degrees, quickly pour the mixture into the pan.
Repeat for each additional color.
Cool for about 30 minutes or until candy has fully hardened.
Carefully lift the Candy off of the wax paper.
Break into pieces. We used a meat tenderizer.
Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 200Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 13mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 0gSugar: 52gProtein: 0g