Do you love Mexican food but don’t know where to start in the kitchen to make your favorite recipes? Discover how to make a delicious Instant Pot Chicken Posole with this simple step-by-step guide! This traditional Mexican dish will captivate your taste buds with its mix of tender chicken, savory broth, and vibrant veggies, all cooked in less than an hour. Plus, you can easily customize your Posole to your own preference by choosing your favorite veggies and seasoning. With this guide, you’ll find that making this dish at home is easier and more flavorful than you ever thought possible. So forget takeout – learn how to make a perfect Instant Pot Chicken Posole in the comfort of your own home!
Instant Pot Chicken Posole
Instant Pot Chicken Posole is such an easy and incredibly flavorful Mexican dish to make at home. Tender chicken, savory broth, and a handful of veggies.
Chicken Posole is a cross between a soup and a stew, posole is a classic slow-cooked Mexican dish. It is quickly becoming one of my favorite dishes.
Instant Pot Chicken Posole
I am a huge soup person. My husband and my kids love soup as well. There is pretty much not a single soup that I have not cooked at one point or another. I am a soup connoisseur of sorts. This instant Pot Chicken Posole is so delicious and this soup will stick to your bones.
What Is Posole
Posole is a traditional Mexican soup-Stew. It is filled with hominy and chicken or pork, with a smooth enchilada sauce. I use a red sauce for my recipe but you will find some recipes use a green base sauce. Both are equally good!
Keep reading till you get to the recipe card for the easiest dump and go Instant Pot freezer directions.
What to Serve With Chicken Posole
Pair this with some cornbread and a delicious salad and call it dinner.
Can Posole Be Frozen
Yes. This chicken Posole can be frozen easily! I actually use this recipe a lot to meal prep for later on in the month. If you ever have nights where cooking is the last thing you want to do, this recipe is great. Just pull from the freezer, Reheat, and serve! Keep reading
Can I Use Leftover Chicken for Instant Pot Posole
Sure. Just make sure the chicken you use isn’t overly seasoned. If it is, you will find it changes the flavor. I personally batch cook shredded chicken for freezing and use it in meals just like this!
What Toppings Do You Use for Posole
Toppings are optional and whatever you want to add to the dish. For our home, we like simple toppings.
We use chopped up cabbage, cilantro, green onions, and lime juice. The lime juice really helps to bring out fresh flavors in the recipe!
Will Homemade Enchilada Sauce Work In Posole
Yes. You can use homemade or cut a corner and buy enchilada sauce. Either works great it is just a personal preference on what you choose.
Can I Swap Chicken for Pork
Absolutely. Just dice up your pork just like the recipe recommends for the chicken. Then follow directions accordingly.
Can You Make Chicken Posole in Slow Cooker
Absolutely! I will share Slow Cooker directions with you below. The low and slow simmered taste is incredible. It’s a nice recipe to prep in the morning and let sit and forget!
How Long Will Posole Store In Fridge
As a rule of thumb, I don’t go longer than 3-4 days. If I know I am not going to eat it all I freeze it for meals later down the line. I share freezer directions below.
I have also frozen single serve containers of this recipe for lunches for the week. It reheats nicely!
Best Way To Reheat Leftovers
Warm your leftovers up in Instant Pot, and reach for the microwave or even stovetop. Any work and if you are fully reheating a lot even a slow cooker is an option.
This Mexican Soup reheats nicely and I almost feel is has more flavor on day two!
Give this recipe a try if you love Posole or just want to step out and try something new. My family can be picky eaters at times, and they love this recipe!
For a delicious one pot meal, serve this with salad and warm bread for a complete comfort food meal.
Instant Pot Chicken Posole is such a delicious spin on this classic Mexican dish. Done in your instant pot so that you can enjoy your chicken posole and not have to cook all day.
- 2-3 lb diced chicken (2 bags of shredded chicken for freezer meal)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 3 Tbsp diced red bell pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp fresh minced garlic
- 14 oz red enchilada sauce
- ½ Tbsp red pepper powder
- Hominy 29 ounce can, drained and rinsed
- ½ fresh onion diced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- ½ lime juiced
- ¼ cup cilantro diced
- ¼ cup diced cabbage
- ¼ cup diced green onion
- 1 lime sliced for squeezing
- Put Instant Pot on the “sauté” setting and add oil and diced chicken and cook until slightly cooked on each side about 5 minutes then add onion and paprika and salt to chicken. Continue to cook 3-5 more minutes until onions are more translucent.
- Turn sauté setting off and add all remaining ingredients minus the garnishings.
- Once all ingredients have been added to the pot then put the lid on the pot, set the steam valve to closed and push the manual setting and cook for 12 minutes.
- Once done let the soup sit for 5 minutes in the pot sealed then release the remainder of the steam carefully. Once steam is released remove the lid.
- Enjoy this soup garnished with green onion, cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
To FREEZE: Put cooked & cooled onions & garlic into freezer Ziploc. Put paprika, red bell pepper, salt, garlic, enchilada sauce, red pepper, hominy, & lime juice all into the freezer Ziploc. Seal bag. Date & include these notes: EMPTY INGREDIENTS OF CHICKEN POSOLE BAG INTO POT + 2 BAG OF SHREDDED CHICKEN (APRX. 2 LB) + 4 CUPS CHICKEN BROTH. PC - 5 MIN + QR
- Take 2 bags of shredded chicken, remove bag from freezer and sit on the counter while preparing dinner. (If in a rush, you can run the bag over warm water to loosen the frozen rice from the Ziploc)
- Empty contents of your chicken posole freezer bag in to your pot.
- Than add the shredded chicken in to your pot.
- Pour 4 Cup of chicken broth in. Put lid on your pot. Turn to sealing position.
- Manual High pressure for 5 min. When cooking cycle ends do a quick release.
- Give chili a good stir. If any of your posole still seems a bit frozen, put back on PC for 1 or 2 minutes depending on how much more cooking you may need.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 416Saturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1449mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 30g