Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup is a total comfort food in a bowl. A light and refreshing soup that is made right in the Instant Pot. A quick and easy homemade chicken soup that will soothe the soul.
I know if you follow my blog, you have heard me say, we could live off all kinds of soup. This chicken orzo soup recipe is one of my favorites right now. It is so different than a classic chicken and noodle, but still gives you that comfort food vibe.
Instant Pot Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
Fall is approaching so colder weather is on the horizon, busy school schedules and holidays. In that soup is super easy to make for me. Plus the leftovers are fantastic so I can prep and make for quick meals down the line. I am all about simplifying my life while still providing healthy dinners for my family.
Is Orzo A Pasta Or Rice
Orzo is a pasta that is rice-shaped. You can cook your Orzo the same way as you would rice. This pasta is great for adding texture to your soup, and offers a fun twist compared to other pasta shapes.
Can I Use Pre-Cooked Chicken For Chicken Orzo Soup
Yes, you can use frozen pre-shredded chicken for your soup if you don’t want to make it fresh. You can use raw chicken to cook it up and shred, or opt for frozen pre-shredded cooked chicken. Sometimes I will pull frozen shredded chicken I batch cooked earlier to really simplify dinner even more.
Why Make Orzo Soup in Instant Pot
- Fast | You can cook this soup so fast in the Instant Pot. You get that slow simmered flavor in literally a fraction of the time. This is why I always make soup in the Instant Pot.
- Less Energy | If you can about using energy, reach for your IP. This is a great way to cut down energy, as it can use up to 70% less energy than the stove or oven.
- Infuses Flavor | This recipe really infuses the flavors quickly in the IP. It takes minimal time to really blend and marry the spices to give you a rich and savory broth.
What To Serve With Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- Salad | A light option is a Caeser or side salad next to your soup.
- Dinner Rolls | Offer dinner rolls for a dipper for your soup. Or slather with butter for a nice light and tender side.
- Crackers | Oyster crackers, saltines or any other type of cracker is great. You can crumble and top your soup or dip in the broth one by one.
Is Chicken Orzo Soup Similar To Chicken Noodle Soup
In a sense it is similar but the flavors are different. The lemon really adds a nice citrus twist that makes it feel light and refreshing. While this doesn’t replace chicken noodle soup, it is a great alternative to add into your soup rotation.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 TBSP minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 10 oz bag shredded carrots
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 TBSP fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Turn on Saute. Add in garlic, onions and chicken pieces. Saute for several minutes allowing your chicken to partially cook.
- Add in carrots, chicken broth, & orzo. Make sure your orzo is completely covered by broth.
- Once all ingredients have been added to the pot then put the lid on the pot, set the steam valve to closed and push the manual setting and cook for 3 minutes.
- Once cooking cycle completes, do a controlled quick release (carefully release the steam in short burst to prevent messy spewing)
- Open lid, add in lemon juice and spinach. Give a good stir and give the spinach a few minutes to cook before serving.
- Sprinkle well with parmesan cheese for ultimate taste.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 235Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 710mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 18g