Do you want a delicious, keto-friendly side dish that is sure to please the whole family? Look no further than Air Fryer Keto Loaded Hasselback Zucchini! This simple recipe is packed with flavor and is an excellent way to use up the abundance of zucchini you’ve got from your garden. The combination of crisp bacon, gooey cheese, and zucchini makes this recipe one of a kind. Every bite is savory and mouthwatering, and with only 10 minutes of active cooking time, this air fryer recipe is sure to become your go-to for busy weeknight meals. Whether you’re a burgeoning chef or a cooking newbie, this dish is for you. Let’s take a look at what makes Air Fryer Keto Loaded Hasselback Zucchini a must-have side dish!
I found that using somewhat smaller-sized zucchinis worked best in this recipe. It allowed the zucchini to cook evenly and quickly. The biggest tip I recommend is making sure to use similar-sized zucchini so they are all cooked up evenly!
How To Make
Step 1: Start by washing and drying your zucchini. Then you will cut your zucchini in thin slices, not fully cutting all the way through. Making it a Hasselback style. I used chopsticks to help ensure I didn’t cut through.
Step 2: Massage zucchini in olive oil and salt and pepper in between each slice. You can use the chopstick to push open slots to get in there.
Step 3: Then place zucchini in the air fryer at 400 degrees and cook for 10 minutes. At that time remove your zucchini and then place the crumbled bacon and shredded cheese on the zucchini. You can use the chopstick to push open slots to get in there.
Step 4: Return loaded zucchini back into the air fryer and cook for another 10 minutes or so. Remove and serve!
How To Serve Up Zucchini
- Top with sour cream
- Use Greek Plain Yogurt to top
- Fresh Chives
- Drizzle on some hot sauce
- Eat plain
Honestly, zucchini offers such a mild flavor they are very versatile. You can use any of your favorite toppings you prefer! Go right ahead and top how you would like.
Should You Peel Zucchini
For this zucchini recipe, you do not need to peel the zucchini. I find that leaving the peel on the zucchini actually helps hold it together. If you peel you will find it will cause your zucchini to fall apart.
Plus zucchini skin is thin enough that it won’t alter the flavor much at all.
Storing Leftover Zucchini
If you have leftovers, you can easily place them in an airtight container and store them in the fridge. The texture will change a bit once it is chilled and is best when served warm. But you can reheat in the microwave or even in the air fryer or oven to reheat.
Variations To Hasselback Zucchini
- Swap out the bacon for pancetta, pepperoni, or other meats.
- Change out the cheese for pepper jack or other cheese varieties
- Add some crushed crackers or buttered breadcrumbs on top for a crunch
To be honest these Hasselback zucchini can be filled with any of your favorites. No matter if you serve plain or load them up they are incredible.
Can I Make In The Oven
You can make Hasselback zucchini in the oven! All you have to do is cook the same way at the same temperature or bump it up to 425 degrees. Then adjust cooking time if needed to fully cook zucchini.
Air Fryer Keto Loaded Hasselback Zucchini is one incredible and savory way to use up zucchini from your garden. Bacon and cheese collide in this zucchini air fryer recipe.
- 3 Medium Zucchini
- 4 Slices Bacon, crumbled
- 2 Cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/4 Sour Cream (optional)
- Chives (optional)
- Cut the ends of the zucchini off.
- Place a chop stick, or something of similar size/height, next t your zucchini and use it to prevent your knife from cutting completely through.
- Brush with olive oil. Season with salt & pepper. Massage a bit in between your slices helping the olive oil, salt and pepper to get in between.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the air fryer carefully since your zucchini will be hot.
- Gently stuff (your chop stick will come in handy again, use your chopstick to gently open the slices) with shredded cheese and bacon crumbles.
- Place back in the air fryer and air fry for an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove from the air fryer, top with sour cream and chives.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil. Prepare the zucchini as stated above. Bake for 15 minutes, remove from the oven. Stuff as stated above. Put back in the oven and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 451Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 90mgSodium: 757mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 25g