This Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is simmered in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, and a rich beer to make a tasty twist on a classic St Patty’s Dish!
In my house, we love leftovers. And as easy and convenient as it is to just reheat and enjoy the meal again, I like to get creative with my leftovers. How can I make this delicious and still-tender meat and veggies and turn them into something totally new and fresh?
Since we all love to make Corned Beef and Cabbage around March 17th (who doesn’t want an excuse for an Irish-themed dinner? St Patrick’s Day is one of my favorite times of year for this reason!) I always make extra – then I can turn the leftover into something totally new!
What can I do with leftover Corned Beef Dinner?
There is nothing like good corned beef brisket. And after having the traditional corned beef and cabbage, I like to turn the brisket into something else. It can make for a great casserole, a stew, corned beef sandwiches, or the recipe that brings us here today: Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup made easy in the slow cooker!
How to make Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup in the Slow Cooker
This is truly such an easy dump-it-all-in-and-go kind of recipe!
Take all ingredients – yes every single one – except the parsley garnish and put it in the crockpot. No adding the cabbage later for this recipe! Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. If you make it on high, change the cooking time to 5 hours.
For best serving, I like to remove the corned beef to a bowl and then cover it with broth. Then garnish with parsley and serve.
Storage and Freezing
Leftovers must be stored in an airtight container and will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge.
The completed soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. To make after frozen, take out of the freezer and let thaw, then slowly heat over the stove.
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to use uncooked corned beef, cube the raw meat and add to the soup. You may need some extra cooking time.
- While adding the beer is optional, it adds so much flavor you might want to give it a try at least once.
- If you want a quick dinner, you can cook this on the stove top in a large pan. Follow the directions, but cook over medium heat for 45 minutes.
This Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage Soup is simmered in the crock pot with potatoes, carrots, celery, garlic, and a rich beer to make a tasty twist on a classic St Patty’s Dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 large carrots, sliced
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 pounds cooked corned beef, cubed or shredded
- 1/2 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle dark beer - German beer if possible
- Parsley for garnish, optional
- Add all the ingredients except the parsley to a large crockpot.
- Set the crockpot on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- Remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 455Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 115mgSodium: 1844mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 26g