Lemon Meringue Bars are a homemade buttery crust filled with a citrus lemon filling and topped with a pillowy meringue.
Lemon Meringue Bars
These lemon meringue bars are so delicious and every bit as special as my grandmother’s pies.
Lemon Meringue brings me straight back to my childhood, watching my grandmother make her special lemon meringue pie.
She made the most delicious lemon meringue pie and it was part of every special holiday dinner. It is also one of the few recipes that did not get passed down to me before her passing. I suspect I did not ask for this recipe because lemon meringue pie has always been a bit intimidating to me.
I remember watching her for hours and hours preparing her special pie.
These lemon meringue pie bars were just what I needed to honor my grandmother’s memory with a special treat for my boys. Special is an understatement. These lemon meringue bars were so delicious and every bit as special as my grandmother’s pies.
How to Make
Step 1: The first step is to work on the crust. You will work over your dough and then pour into a greased pan and press it down with your hands or bottom of a cup to pack it in.
Step 2: Toss the pie crust in the oven and set a timer for 10 minutes. While that’s cooking, begin working on your lemon filling.
Beat your eggs, lemon juice, and sugar. You want it to be really well mixed.
Step 3: Pour the lemon filling over the crust and bake until it has set up.
Step 4: while your lemon is baking begin working on your homemade meringue. Use a hand mixer or stand mixer and whip away.
When it is done and ready and your bars are done as well pile on the bars. Then broil or use a kitchen torch to get that golden brown look.
Do Lemon Bars Need To Be Refrigerated
You will need to refrigerate your meringue lemon bars. They will spoil if you leave them on the counter. Once they have cooled and been removed from the oven, you can then transfer to an airtight container or in a covered dish.
The bars will store for around 3-4 days in the fridge. They are best when eaten fresh, as they will start to dry out in the crust with each day.
Can You Freeze Lemon Meringue Bars
Lemon Meringue Bars freeze really well. Just allow them to fully cool from the oven. Then transfer the bars into a freezer friendly container and then freeze for up to 3 months.
When you want to eat one, allow to thaw on the counter for 30 minutes or so or place in the fridge for a slow thaw.
Can I Double This Recipe
Looking to double the recipe? Go right ahead and make a double batch. They are great for serving at the holidays, parties, or making ahead of the time as a treat. Give it a go and let me know how you like it!
This is such a special recipe, I hope you all enjoy it as much I have growing up.
- 1 Cup Flour
- 1/4 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1 Stick Butter, cut into cubes
- 6 Large Eggs
- 2 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 Cup Lemon Juice
- Zest from 2 Lemons
- 2 Large Egg Whites, no yoke can be in it at all (room temperature)
- 4 TBSP Sugar
- 1/2 TSP Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Mix Flour and powdered sugar together. Mix in butter using either a fork or your hands to create dough.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with cooking spray. Than place your dough in and mush down with your fingers forming a even crust.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until getting golden around the edges. Remove from oven.
- Now for the filling.... Beat 6 eggs, 2 1/4 cups of sugar, lemon juice, and zest with mixer until well blended.
- Pour over crust, bake for 20 minutes or until filling is firm and not giggly to the shake.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Place in the fridge for a bit to cool even more.
- Meringue..... Start beating your egg whites with your mixer on high speed. As your egg whites start to get frothy, slowly start adding in your sugar and vanilla extract. Keep beating until your egg whites have stiff peaks.
- Spread the meringue over your lemon bars. Use a spoon edge or something with a soft tip to create peaks in your meringue.
- Broil to brown or use a food torch.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 110mgSodium: 96mgCarbohydrates: 48gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 5g