Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Orzo with Asparagus is a quick and easy side dish that will win over a crowd. Just a few minutes of prep, and a 4 minute cook time is all this cheesy orzo recipe requires.
This Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Orzo With Asparagus is so darn delicious I could not stop eating it. I have this neat little trick that I started playing with my boys when they were younger. We will buy a vegetable in season and then decide on this dish I will be preparing.
I used to take my boys to the farmer’s markets and let them pick out the fresh vegetables that we would buy. Earlier this week when I was in Costco, I saw they had bags of asparagus and I knew I needed to buy them. I decided on this Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Orzo With Asparagus and boy am I happy I did.
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Orzo With Asparagus
Every one of my boys enjoyed this dish and ate every bit of it. Talk about a mom score! This dish pairs perfectly with a delicious steak. If you have not tried my steak marinade yet, you NEED too!
Is Orzo Pasta Or Rice
Orzo is pasta that is shaped and looks like rice. It makes for an incredible side dish and this garlic parmesan with asparagus is satisfying! Orzo for me offers a creative way to serve up pasta, that really pleases kids and adults.
Orzo can be made the same way you would any other traditional pasta, and then stir into sauces, soups, and create side dishes like this.
Ingredients in Garlic Parmesan Orzo With Asparagus
- Butter | Reach for unsalted. This will add a nice flavor without being overly salty.
- Onion and Garlic| Who doesn’t love sauteed onions and garlic. It adds so much depth and flavor to the Orzo.
- Chicken Broth | The orzo will soak up the broth giving it tons of flavor. I reach for broth over the water every time when making this dish.
- Parmesan Cheese | Adds a creamy and tangy flavor to the dish. Just grate fresh parmesan for this dish.
- Asparagus | Great way to get little ones to eat their vegetables. This adds so many nutrients and flavor to the dish.
Variations To Garlic Parmesan Orzo
- Spinach (chopped fresh)
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over your dish before serving
- No veggies at all
- Add in diced cooked chicken for a complete dish
Orzo is very versatile. Sometimes depending on the season, I will swap out the vegetable for something else that is in season. So feel free to play around with flavors and see what you like.
How Long Does Orzo Last In Fridge
You can store cooked orzo in the fridge for 3-4 days. Always use your best judgment in terms of the quality of leftovers. It reheats well or if you prefer you can eat it cold. Great for meal prepping for part of your work week or school week.
Can I Use Frozen Asparagus In Orzo Recipe
If you have frozen asparagus on hand, you are more than welcome to toss it in over fresh. I recommend tossing it in frozen and then cooking accordingly. Frozen and thawed asparagus will offer a slight difference in texture but should taste just as good.
Orzo makes for a super easy side, especially when the Instant Pot is involved. You can take a 15 minute cook time and reduce it down to just 4 minutes. That is why I love my Instant Pot for making easy and delicious side dishes for my family, friends, and guests when hosting gatherings.
This Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Orzo With Asparagus is so delicious and easy to make! it takes 5 minutes to prepare this dish and 4 minutes to cook!!
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1/2 small Onion, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Chicken Broth, or vegetable broth
- 8 oz Orzo Pasta, 1 1/2 cups dry
- 1 1/2 cups Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 pound asparagus, cut to preference. I like to cup beyond the tip cutting into two nice sized pieces.
- Turn on your pressure cooker's Sauté function Add the butter.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Add broth.
- Stir in the Orzo.
- Add asparagus.
- Then place the lid on, locking in place. Set the Steam Release Knob to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the sauté function.
- Press the Pressure Cook/Manual button (or dial) and the + or - (or dial) to select 4 minutes.
- When the cooking cycle has finished, immediately turn the Steam Release Knob to the Venting position (Quick Release). When all of the steam has vented, and the pin in the lid drops down, open the lid.
- Stir in the parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Saturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 683mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 15g