Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole is my go-to comfort dish. Meat and potatoes topped with cheese and made with minimal prep on your part. If you are on the hunt for a hearty and easy weeknight meal, this cowboy casserole is sure to win you over. Loaded with beans, cheese, ground beef, potatoes, and seasonings.
Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole
This Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole is going to lead straight to your husband’s heart. A delicious meaty bean potato cheesy dish. Serve it with crusty bread and call it dinner. This is the dish the entire family will love every bit of and ask for seconds. This is the perfect dish for a busy weeknight meal.
I love to make my boys a nice warm lunch on a cold winter day, this is just the perfect dish for that. I love pot in pot cooking for the ease of cooking and cleanup. For a perfect pot in pot dessert try my Instant Pot Apple Dump Cake, you will love it!
What Is Cowboy Casserole
Cowboy casserole is like an all in one meal. Cowboys could whip up a quick meal that would stick to their bones after a long day. Add a splash of Tabasco for that smokey and spicy flavor and enjoy. You don’t have to add Tabasco though if you don’t like heat.
Can I Make Cowboy Casserole With Ground Turkey
Yes. I used ground beef but you are welcome to use ground turkey or even ground pork or chicken. We prefer the flavor of beef, but the recipe will adapt with any ground meat.
Topping Ideas For Cowboy Casserole
- Sour Cream
- Green Onions
- Diced Onions
- Hot Sauce
You can eat it like it is, or opt for some toppings. Feel free to play around with ingredients to see what fits you best and your family.
Can I Swap Red Potatoes With Russets
Of course. I prefer the flavor of red potatoes in this dish, but if you want to swap with Yukon gold or even russets. Either works, they all hold up rather well during the cooking time. The russets will break down more than red potatoes but will still taste good.
How Long Will Cowboy Casserole Last In Fridge
You can store your casserole in the fridge for up to 3 days. Then after that use your best judgment if the casserole is bad. I tend to only keep it for three days and then toss out any leftovers.
Can I Meal Prep With Cowboy Casserole
Yes. This recipe is great to meal prep for dinners or lunches. Just place in airtight containers and then toss in the fridge or even freezer until you are ready.
Best Way To Reheat Cowboy Casserole
I generally warm up leftovers in the microwave. On occasion, if I know the whole family is going to be eating it, I will pour into a baking dish and toss into the oven to warm up that way. I preheat the oven to 350 degrees and then place the casserole in the oven and heat until warmed all the way through.
What To Serve With Casserole
This is an all-in-one dinner, but if you still want something more to pair, then let me walk you through all other sides to consider.
- Dinner Rolls
- Veggie- Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Green Beans, etc.
Give this recipe a try, and see how you like it. My family cheers when they hear it is on the menu for the week. Kids and adults seem to go crazy for it.
Instant Pot Cowboy Casserole is the perfect meat and potatoes meal any cowboy for hungry person will love. This is one of our favorite meals.
- 2 cups ground beef, browned
- 2 to 3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can, 10 ounces tomatoes with diced peppers
- 1 can, 15.5 ounces kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 cup water, plus minimum required by your pressure cooker manufacturer
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- This recipe requires the pot in pot method. If you do not have a pot to place inside the pressure cooker pot, create a sling/pot using aluminum foil.
- Add one cup of water and a trivet in your pot, Place your pan on the trivet using a foil sling.
- To the sling/pot, place potatoes using salt and pepper to season well. Top with onion, cooked ground beef, beans, tomatoes, and seasonings. Add 1/4 cup water over the top of the casserole.
- Cover the instant pot and set the valve to sealing. Cook on manual or pressure cook setting for 30 minutes. Carefully use the quick release to depressurize the cooker. Stir the casserole.
- If your potatoes are still a bit on the hard side, make sure they are pushed down into the liquid and put the lid back on and PC for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cover with cheese and replace the lid until melted. Serve.
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 280 Saturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 73mg Sodium: 175mg Carbohydrates: 2g Protein: 17g