Air Fryer Bacon Onion Bombs are the ultimate air fryer recipe. A juicy meatball that is wrapped in onion, bacon and air fried till golden brown and cooked perfectly.
My husband and kids told me this is the best recipe I have made to date. I mean what is not to love about anything that’s wrapped in bacon.
Air Fryer Bacon Onion Bombs
Serve these onion bombs up for dinner or even an appetizer as you cheer on your favorite football team.
What Is A Bacon Onion Bomb
Essentially it is a big meatball that is then wrapped in an onion and bacon and bbq sauce. Loaded with flavor and the bacon crisps up as it cooks. Slice into a little piece of heaven!
What To Serve With Onion Bacon Bombs
- Rice or cauliflower rice
- Mashed potatoes
- Crisp green salad
- Fries or tots
As you can see, the options are endless. If you serve these up as a meal you can pick any of your favorite sides to go along with them.
Do Bacon Bombs Store Well
To be honest any crispy style food is best when served fresh. I have to say these are best when served fresh. The texture of each ingredient is the best.
If you end up having some leftover you can save them and reheat in microwave or even the oven. The oven will do a better job of giving you a crispy texture again.
What Type Of Onion To Use For Onion Bombs
A yellow or sweet onion is what I would recommend for this recipe. If you favor a white onion you could use that as well.
You will find most onion varieties can work for this recipe.
How to Know When Onion Bacon Bombs Are Cooked Fully
The two factors that you want to watch is to ensure the meat on the inside is fully cooked as well as the bacon on the outside.
I suggest using a meat thermometer to gauge the internal temperature of the meatball. This is the true way to tell if it is cooked.
The other thing is to watch the bacon on the outside. You want to ensure the bacon is fully cooked all around the bacon wrapped onion bombs.
Can I Use Ground Turkey Instead of Beef
Sure you can swap ground turkey for beef. Sausage or even ground chicken or pork could be subbed in as well.
Just ensure your meat gets fully cooked.
What Is The Best Way To Secure Bacon To Onion
You want to use toothpicks to secure the bacon to the mixture. If you don’t you will find the bacon will come off as the temperature rises and begins to cook the bombs.
So make sure to have toothpicks on hand to stick onto each bomb.
Tips for Making Bacon Onion Bombs
- Make sure that you leave space in between each bomb. This ensures and even cook on all sides of your meatball onion bombs.
- Another thing is to make sure you don’t overlap the bacon too much or the bacon will not cook evenly.
- Reach for whatever barbeque sauce you and your family prefer. I have found when you use ingredients you know you like you end up with a tasty dish.
Can I make these in my Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot Duo Crisp?
You sure can. I made a couple in my Instant Pot Duo Crisp and they came out perfect! Follow the directions exactly the same way for temperature and time.
If you love this recipe, you will definitely want to try these delicious Air Fryer Fried Pickles
- 1 Pound Ground Beef
- 3/4 Cup Bread Crumbs, plain
- 1 Egg, beaten
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup BBQ Sauce
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/2 TSP Black Pepper
- 1/2 TSP Garlic Powder
- 3-4 Medium Yellow Onions
- 1 Package Bacon
- 3-4 Small Cheddar Cheese Cubes
- In a large bowl, mix the ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, milk, BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, & garlic powder. Mix together well.
- Cut the bottom and the top off of the onions. Peel the outer skin and throw it away..
- Cut the onion in half and carefully peel off the outer two layers.
- Form a meatball for each onion. Place a piece of cheddar cheese in the middle of your meatball.
- Place your meatball inside of the onion shell.
- Using toothpicks to help, wrap each onion with 3 pieces of bacon.
- AIR FRY at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.
- Check at the 23 minute mark to make sure your bacon is not cooking too quick.
- Remove your toothpicks and ENJOY!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 536Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 142mgSodium: 1071mgCarbohydrates: 22gFiber: 1gSugar: 9gProtein: 34g