This Savory Breakfast Skillet is the perfect weekend morning treat. Crispy seasoned hash browns create a bottom crust in this one-skillet breakfast, and layers of bacon, onions, cheese, and sausage make culinary magic as the flavors combine into a soft, quiche-like texture to produce a satisfying meal.
With a little preparation, you’ll be able to whip this up quickly and have plenty of time to enjoy your coffee while breakfast bakes. The onions can be chopped, the cheese grated, and the sausage cooked the day before and stored in the refrigerator. Pre-packaged fresh hash browns were used in this recipe for simplicity, but you can grate a potato instead if you wish. (Just make sure to do this at the last minute.) Use any type of cheese you enjoy or a mixture of your favorites.
Pair this delicious savory breakfast skillet with Cast Iron Skillet Bacon Cinnamon Rolls for the perfect skillet brunch.
Crispy seasoned hash browns create a bottom crust in this one-skillet breakfast, and layers of bacon, onions, cheese, and sausage make culinary magic as the flavors combine into a soft, quiche-like texture to produce a satisfying meal.
- 10 ounces uncooked seasoned hash browns, or 1 average potato, peeled and shredded *
- 3 pieces of uncooked bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion, or green onion
- 1 1/2 cups grated cheese
- 1/2- pound breakfast sausage, cooked and drained well
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 6 large eggs
- 1 cup milk, or half & half, for creamier texture
- Heat oven to 375 F. Grease a 10-inch (2-inch deep) cast-iron skillet.
- Place hash browns in the bottom of the skillet. Cover with uncooked bacon. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Remove skillet from oven and sprinkle with chopped onion. Cover with cheese. Sprinkle with cooked sausage.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add one egg and beat until incorporated. Add remaining eggs and beat until smooth.
- Add milk to egg mixture and beat until combined. Pour into skillet.
- Reduce oven to 350 F. Place skillet back in the oven and bake for approximately 50 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Allow the skillet to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 471Saturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 252mgSodium: 640mgCarbohydrates: 13gSugar: 3gProtein: 23g