The 4th of July is almost here and I could not be more excited!! I bet you knew I would make a 4th of July Patriotic crack, didn’t you?! I am in love with the results and more than ready to celebrate this amazing holiday.
4th of July Patriotic Crack
This will be the hit of any 4th of July party and really get those fireworks sparkling. It will be a hit with the kids and the adults. Let’s get this party started!
Saltines all lined and ready to have the melted butter and sugar poured on top.
Out of the oven and now putting on my white chocolate chips.
Melting Chocolate In Microwave
In a microwave-safe container, microwave candy melts at 50% power or the defrost setting on your microwave. Melt for one minute to start. Remove and stir. Place back in the microwave for an additional 30 seconds at 50% power. Remove and stir. Continue to do this in 30-second intervals until smooth and creamy. Remember less is better. You can help melt some pieces that are still not fully melted by stirring with a spoon. You do not want to over microwave your chocolate.
Using Instant Pot For A Double Boiler
If you have an Instant Pot use it as a double boiler. This is a fantastic way to melt chocolate easily and not fearing of burning it. I used white chocolate chips and colored candy melts in this recipe.
Look at this stunning swirl of color in every glorious sweet and salty bite.
Chocolates & sprinkles used to create this:
- Nestle Toll House Premier White Morsels
- Wilton Red Candy Melts
- Wilton Candy Melts, Blue
- Star Sprinkles – Red, White, & Blue
- Patriotic PPJimmies
- Weaver Nut All American Nonpareils
Can I Make This Crack Candy In Advance
Absolutely! You are more than welcome to make this the day before you plan to eat. You will need to allow the chocolate and toffee layer time to set up.
Feel free to make a day or two in advance. I find that eating it within the first couple of days is best on texture, but it does store well.
Once the crack candy is set up, you can break apart and then store it in an airtight container or sealable bag. Don’t let it get too warm or the chocolate will melt.
Can I Swap Out Saltines
Yes, you are welcome to use Townhouse crackers, Ritz, etc. Any salted top cracker works great. You could even use a pretzel crisp to be the base if you would like.
Each bite will be sweet and salty. But, know by changing out the crackers, the flavor of the crack candy will vary in flavor and even the overall texture.
Can You Freeze Patriotic Crack Candy
If you plan to freeze your candy, you will find the saltines can go mushy. You can toss it in the freezer once you first make it to speed up the setting up but anything after that could leave to a mushy texture you won’t want or enjoy.
Can I Double This Holiday Crack Recipe
You bet! Make as much as you would like. If you have a really large batch you might just need to batch cook in the oven. Otherwise, you should have no trouble making extra of this recipe. Just take your time and cook as you go, and then store the leftovers properly once it is set up.
Out of the oven and now putting on my white chocolate chips
In a microwave-safe container, microwave candy melts at 50% power or the defrost setting on your microwave. Melt for one minute to start. Remove and stir. Place back in the microwave for additional 30 seconds at 50% power. Remove and stir. Continue to do this in 30-second intervals until smooth and creamy. Remember less is better. You can help melt some pieces that are still not fully melted by stirring with a spoon. You do not want to over microwave your chocolate.
Chocolates & sprinkles used to create this:
- 50 Saltine Crackers
- 1 Cup butter cut into chunks to melt down, 2 sticks
- 1 Cup LIght Brown Sugar
- 2 Cups White Chocolate Chips
- 1/4 Cup Red Chocolate Melts
- 1/4 Cup Blue Chocolate Melts
- Patriotic Sprinkles, see above for links to all used
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a large cookie tray with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Line saltines up neatly in rows.
- In a medium sized pot melt your butter and brown sugar. Once butter is melted down, bring to a boil. Continue to stir the entire time and boil for about 2 minutes. It will look gorgeous and bubbly.
- Pour over the top of the saltines. Gently spread across the saltines.
- Place in oven and bake for about 7 minutes.
- While your crack is in the oven melt your blue & red chocolate melts according to package directions. *Please see the body of the post, I have included my no fail chocolate melting tips.
- Remove the pan from the oven and than sprinkle your white chocolate chips over the saltines. Your hot toffee mixture will melt the chips. I put mine back in the oven for a minute to move the process along. Once your chips are melting, spread across the top evenly with a spatula.
- Mix your red & blue chocolate into the white chocolate by pouring it over the top in a decorative way. I also used a butter knife tip to help combine my colors to my liking. Quickly decorate with sprinkles that tickle your fancy, the melted chocolate will act as your glue.
- Once chocolate is completely hardened you are ready to cut your crack into nice sized pieces.