As my boys get older I already regret not taking more family vacations. We only have a few years left and I just drafted up this incredible list of 10 Totally Unique Places to Vacation in the US as a Family. If your own childhood dreams included sleeping under the sea, or in a treehouse, then your dreams are about to come true.
Planning a vacation is an exciting time! We live in a land full of so many great vacation choices and so many options to choose from. Instead of booking the same vacation each and every year, why not think about branching out and trying to stay at a fun and unique location for your next trip? Sometimes, the best vacations are the most random and sporadic ones. Think about taking a step out of your comfort zones and explore other options for possible places to visit as a family. If you are needing a few ideas to help get your think-tank started, here are some unique suggestions for vacation ideas for you and your family.
- Jules Undersea Lodge in Key Largo, FL. If you’ve ever wanted to sleep under the sea, now’s your chance to test those waters. This is literally the ONLY undersea lodge in the US. And to make it even more unique? You have to scuba dive 21 feet down into the water to even be able to access your room. Adventure awaits with this vacation spot! They do require that you be scuba certified to even stay at this lodge; however, if you aren’t, they offer a Scuba Diving Certificate course available for ages 10 and up. Talk about a totally unique and exciting vacation!
- Treehouse Cabins in Dora, Missouri. Looking for a retreat with a view? These amazing treehouse cabins may be perfect for you. Nestled along the North Fork River with awesome opportunities to kayak, swim or fish as well. Did I mention the views?! Your family will be able to see what the birds can see nestled up so high in the sky.
- Mackinac Island, Michigan. Wanting to take a step back in time? Taking a trip to Mackinac Island may be exactly what you need. Although be aware, this island is car-free. Yep, you read that right! People get around on foot or by horse and buggy. Talk about a relaxing and stress-free trip! No traffic worries here! And total side note but another plus of this Island is that they are known for their awesome fudge. Who can resist homemade fudge?
- Chattanooga, TN Choo-Choo Hotel. Calling all train lovers! If you’ve ever wanted to sleep in a train car, now’s your chance!
- Forest Gully Farms in Sante Fe, TN. Adorable underground huts await! Located on a 15-acre food forest, your family can roam, explore and learn about food to eat from the couple who manages and runs the property. A little education with your vacation never hurt anyone.
- Dog Bark Park in located in Cottonwood, Idaho. Enjoy a cozy bed and breakfast located INSIDE of the worlds largest beagle! It’s a place to unplug from the outside world as well as there is no phone or TV located in the beagle room. Pack up the games and get ready for some quality family time.
- Wigwam Village in Holbrook, Arizona. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to sleep in a wigwam, opportunity awaits! Located along Route 66, it’s certain to be an overnight stay full of fun memories.
- Turpentine Creek Wildlife Rescue in Eureka Springs, Arkansas. Safari adventures await at this wildlife rescue lodge. Sleeping with the cats may not be a possibility, but sleeping among that cats in rooms is! And by cats, it includes lions, tigers, leopards, and cougars. Get educated on the cats during the day and watch feeding times for them as well. Once nighttime occurs, relax in their fun safari-themed lodges.
- Legoland Beach Retreat in Winterhaven, FL. If your crew is Lego-crazed, this is the place for you! Also, its conveniently located next to Legoland as well to spend a whole day of fun roaming around and exploring all the great options.
- Kokopelli’s Cave in Farmington, New Mexico. Take a vacation literally on the side of a cliff. From inside, you have breathtaking views of four states (Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico) all at once. Pack light as it’s a trek to get there!
If you are seeking adventure for your family trip, check out a few of the fun suggestions above. They are each so different and unique that there may be one there that is a perfect fit for you and your crew. You never know what adventure awaits if you don’t branch out to see all the awesome unique places in the US!