This Cherry Upside Down Cake with Whipped Cream is so incredibly delicious this will be the crowd pleasure of your next gathering. I love the combination of tart from the cherries mixed with the sweet from the brown sugar creating a little bite of heaven for your mouth. My first love goes of upside down cakes goes to pineapple upside down cakes since that was the first flavor upside down cake I ever tasted. As much as I love pineapple, I knew I needed to make a cherry version.
I could not be happier with this cherry upside down cake, it was such a wonderful treat. My boys are already asking me when I will be baking them another.
If you love delicious cake recipes, you will want to try my incredible magic cake recipe.
Cherry Upside Down Cake with Whipped Cream is such a delicious take on tart and sweet. It is such a sweet spin on an upside down cake.
Cherry Layer Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 lb. fresh red cherries, pitted and sliced in half
- 1/4 C unsalted butter
- 1/2 C brown sugar, packed
- 2 C flour
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 C sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temp
- 1/2 C sour cream
- 1 C heavy whipping cream, chilled
- 2 TBSP. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prep a 10-Inch Round Pan with baking spray
- Cut a parchment paper to fit inside round pan.
- Set aside.
- Chill a medium mixing bowl.
Cherry Layer Directions:
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter.
- Stir in the brown sugar.
- Microwave an additional 30 seconds.
- Mix well.
- Place the parchment paper o9n the bottom of the round pan.
- Seal the round pan by closing the latch.
- Pour the brown sugar mix on the bottom of the prepared / parchment covered round pan.
- Top with the cherries, in a single layer.
- Whisk the flour, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Set aside.
- Beat the butter with the almond extract with an electric mixer in a second medium bowl until creamy and smooth. Gradually add in the sugar.
- Increase the speed to medium-high.
- Continue to beat until light and fluffy. (about 4-5 minutes.)
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Lower the speed on the mixer to low.
- Slowly add half of the flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined.
- Add sour cream and mix just until combined.
- Add the remaining flour mixture.
- Beat just until smooth. (The batter will be thick.)
- Scoop the batter on top of the cherries in the pan.
- Gently spread the cake batter over the top of the cherries with a spatula.
- Make sure to have the batter evenly across the pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until the cake is golden brown. (And until the cake tests clean when a toothpick is inserted near the center.)
- Remove the cake from the oven.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around the perimeter of the pan.
- Cover the cake pan with a platter.
- Invert the cake on to the platter.
Whip Cream Directions:
- Place the bowl of a stand mixer or a medium sized glass bowl in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the freezer.
- Add all of the ingredients in the chilled bowl.
- Beat all of the whipped cream ingredients with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until firm peaks form.
- Garnish with whip cream and cherries.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631Saturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 134mgSodium: 147mgCarbohydrates: 81gFiber: 2gSugar: 53gProtein: 6g